Although COVID-19 quarantines and restrictions are beginning to be lifted, many businesses throughout the country are still asking their employees to work from home. In fact, the new work-from-home normal may well become the way much business is done as we all move into our new future.
For those who are used to having a lot of social interaction at work, this can be a lonely experience at times. It can also be difficult to stay on task with pets and kids in your workspace. And then there are the household tasks, like laundry and house cleaning, that can contribute to a distracting at-home workspace. But, there are ways around all of it.
Here are five helpful tips for creating a happy and productive at-home work environment, during and beyond the pandemic:
1. Confine your workplace to a specific area of your house. This way, you are not subjecting yourself to the distraction of the activities that typically take place in shared or multiple areas. Instead of attempting to do your work near a television, create a quiet space where it’s easiest to stay on track. If another room is not an option, find an area with little or no foot traffic.
2. Block out the noise. A helpful trick is to use noise-canceling headphones or earbuds. Studies show that peaceful music and nature sounds can activate the calming part of your brain that helps with concentration.
3. Set strict boundaries. Treat your workplace like you would the office and make it well-known to your family or housemates that your workplace is just that, a place to work. Make sure they respect the fact that you have a long list of things you need to do, and you will not be able to accomplish them without peace and quiet.
4. Be prepared. The pandemic impact on the workplace has paved the way to more virtual meetings and communication. Be sure you know how to operate virtual meeting applications ahead of time. Doing so can save you and the company time, not to mention potentially embarrassing moments or delays.
5. Avoid cabin fever. When you’re spending the majority of your time at home, it’s important to take breaks and get outside … whether it be venturing out around the block or participating in an outdoor activity that you enjoy. Once your workday is successfully finished, remove yourself from your workplace and enjoy other parts of your home. Spend time with your loved ones or get busy with that hobby you love to do.
The Bussani Mobility team cares about you, and we’re staying optimistic that we will emerge out of this crisis stronger than ever and with a greater appreciation for the little things we may have sometimes taken for granted. If there’s anything we can do to help you, please call us.